Monday, December 9, 2013

An Explanation For Why All My Blog Posts Are Late These Days

What it's like to teach in the last few weeks before Christmas, with examples from teachers around the world (well, Beijing and Federal Way):

"Today I put my class into two groups: those who did their homework (so they could work on the new thing) and those who didn't (so they could work on catching up).  You would THINK that the group who was behind would be the ones who were working diligently, and the group who was caught up would be the ones who were being ridiculous and off-task.  YOU WOULD THINK."

"I just finished world religions, on to the Middle East, so my enthusiasm is ramped up to irritating levels.  Freshmen leave the class with glazed-over expressions of awe."

"I am giving you a piece of paper, children.  You will bring it back on Tuesday so we can look at it again.  You will bring it back, or I will kill you."


"Today a freshman asked for Kleenex and when I said I didn't have any he ripped out a sheet of notebook paper and blew his nose on it."

"I think I said the F word last night while I was putting in comments more than any other time in my life."
"Oh, goddammit."
"See, that's how it started for me, too!"

"We had a pancake fundraiser breakfast this morning... I got here at 5:30 to flip pancakes. It's now 8:45, 2nd period, and I've suddenly hit a wall. We're in the library and I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to come up with sneaky ways to sleep while the kids are on the computer."

"Ugh, I'm just feeling too ordinary."

"HOW IS BLOCK F FIVE THOUSAND HOURS LONG."

"Hey, you look much less like you're totally dying!"
"Oh.  That's good.  I still feel like I'm dying, though."

"I slept through Grading Time.  Do I have to grade through Sleeping Time?"
"No! I did too! Are we the same person? Sometimes I wonder."

 Multiple people, multiple times, moaning whilst clutching their heads: "IT'S ALL TOO MUCH."

So, until it is no longer all too much (which should be next Sunday), I'm going to back away from this blog.   

Only four more wake-ups! 
 

1 comment: